A magnet is an incredible object that produces a magnetic field and you should be cautious when you decide to cut it into different pieces. Magnets have many uses that vary from one industry to another. For instance, they can be used in electronic devices from computer monitors, televisions, speakers, microphones, guitars, and motors.
Magnets are also used in the medical world to spot problems in a patient’s organs when doctors are not relying on demanding surgery. Magnet chunks also help in the metalworking field to keep objects in the hold as they act as a great magnetic clamp or base. Magnets are also found in the manufacturing industry to help remove foreign bodies from the materials used in these processes.
If you are among many people wondering, “can you cut a magnet with a grinder?” stress no more. It is indeed possible to cut a magnet with a grinder among many other tools and techniques. All you need is to master the technique used and cut precise pieces hassle-free.
Cutting a Magnet: Everything to Know
Cutting magnets is daunting if you don't have the skill sets and know incredible techniques you can use. Similar to using a utility knife or paper cutter to cut a thick piece of paper, there are different tools used to cut a magnet. A commercial cutting machine such as a grinder provides the most reliable solution to cutting magnets into precise pieces and cleanly.
The technique depends on the size and type of magnet you want to cut. The way you cut rubberized magnets differs from how you cut magnetite and ceramic magnets. The size of the magnet pieces you need also helps determine which tool to best use.
For instance, if you decide to cut a magnet in half for one reason or another, the tools to use will vary from a hacksaw to a chisel or diamond-plated wheel. Magnets are versatile objects used for different purposes and projects. Just like many materials you may wish to cut, you have to manipulate magnets into specific sizes and shapes by cutting them.
One of the incredible techniques to use is via a grinding machine or grinder. These machines make work easier and you don’t need to use a lot of force because the magnetic material is too hard. The best technique is to scratch the magnet slowly up to around 0.25mm. The magnet will split itself because the vibration and forces of the magnets repel each other.
A grinder is the most reliable tool for cutting magnets as it produces fine finishes and makes light cuts. It’s also widely used to cut metal and other materials thanks to the abrasive wheel it comes equipped with for general cutting purposes. The machine also comes with an electric motor which supplies the motion power for cutting to the grinding wheel.
There are different types of grinders you can rely on and cut metal or other materials. Their wheels come in diverse sizes and grains that make it easy to cut different materials. Materials used to meet their wheels are also made of different stones, diamonds, and other inorganic materials.
Features That Make a Grinder the Best Tool for Cutting Magnet
Grinders are an excellent choice for roughing as well as finishing operations on other equipment and hard materials. The construction of grinding machines makes them an efficient tool for also cutting magnets and other versatile materials. Grinders are made up of power-driven wheels and a bed with a distinctive fixture for holding and guiding the workpiece.
The wheel of most grinders is made to spin at the desired speed depending on the wheel’s diameter and set manufacturer’s rating. The grinding head of grinding machines makes them stand out tools for cutting different materials including magnets. You can easily control the grinding head to travel across a fixed material that you need to cut or workpiece.
The grinding head usually stays in a fixed position when you want to cut your material or workpiece. A Vernier calibrated hand wheel makes it easy to finely control the grinding head. The material you are cutting is also perfectly held in table position making sure to cut the magnet accurately and with utmost perfection.
Many people who use grinders also rely on the features of computer numerical control (CNC) or numerical control (NC). Grinding machines remove material from the piece you want to cut by abrasion which generates a certain amount of heat. These machines also come with a coolant that cools off the piece you are cutting making sure it doesn’t overheat.
There are different types of grinders widely used to cut precious metal and other materials you should know. They include:
- Bench Grinder– It is a great machine that comes secured to a workbench with two wheels of different grain sizes for incredible roughing and finishing operations. Bench grinding machines are manually operated.
- Belt Grinder– It is a versatile process that involves a lot of processes when it comes to finishing and deburring metals and other materials.
- Cylindrical grinding machine– This type of grinder will come with multiple grinding wheels that help rotate the workpiece or metal you are working on and form a cylinder. It is used in grinding operations that involve making precision bearing races, bushings, rods, tubes, and many other parts.
- Tool and Cutter grinding machine– It’s a great choice for undertaking the function of the drill bit grinding machine or other related grinding operations.
- Surface grinder– This type of grinder features a head that you can easily lower to a piece of metal or any other material. You have to move the grinder back and forth making sure the workpiece is stable. A surface grinding machine typically works in cutting large amounts of material leaving grind marks. You can also use this grinder to sharpen metal die sets, fixture bases, and flat shear blades, parallel and flat surfaces. These grinders can be manually operated or the user can rely on CNC controls.
- Center grinder– It’s a great choice for machining processes when producing accurate shafts. It’s the best grinding machine operation that makes it easy to produce accurate center holes on both sides. The grinder will ensure a position with high repeat accuracy on the material’s (magnet in this case) center.
- Angle grinder– Great choice if you are undertaking grinding operations that involve construction and fabrication of metal or material being used. It’s a handheld tool you can use to cut materials into different shapes, bend them and undertake assembling work.
Is it Safe to Cut Magnets with a Grinder?
Whenever undertaking any industrial or manufacturing project, it’s advisable to wear the right gear to reduce exposure to accidents and related risks. When cutting a magnet with a grinder, it’s a requirement to always wear personal protective equipment. You will need clothing such as ear protection, goggles, helmets, masks, gloves, leather aprons, and much more.
The grinder you choose to cut magnets or any other metal can be dangerous if you don’t take proper safety precautions. A grinder produces loud noises and sparks which can be very harmful even to those visiting your workstation. You will need the right personal protection equipment in place and ensure the work setting is conducive for all.
Intrinsically, you have to make your work environment safe even if you are cutting ferromagnetic metals or other materials. Simple tips to keep work station safe include:
- Don’t de-clutter the workspace with all materials you are cutting with grinders.
- Ensure the workspace is properly lit or illuminated.
- Ensure the power cables and other types of wires are in the right position.
- Make sure the workstation is properly ventilated.
- Invest in a fire extinguisher as grinders produce a lot of sparks that can cause unexpected fires. The dust from ferromagnetic metals is also highly flammable and can cause fires.
- Be aware of those around your workspace or those visiting.
When cutting magnets keep in mind that they are subjected to sintering therefore they are extremely brittle and hard to cut. Also, you have to check the diamond tool or grinder you are using to cut the magnet and ensure it’s safe to use. Using a grinder if it’s not in good condition and in the wrong way can expose you to a variety of injuries:
- Amputation of fingers
- Cuts to the skin
- Foot injuries
- Eye injuries
- Head injuries and
- Other types of impact injuries
What to Do Before using a Grinder to Cut Different Materials
When undertaking grinding applications or processes, check the grinding wheel and guard to rest assured it’s safe for use. You also have to watch your grinding speed. Don’t rotate faster or move forth and back the grinder than required.
It is advisable to also ensure proper assembling of flanges and other parts of the grinding machine. Every part of the machine should guarantee smooth movement and grinding operations. Most importantly, don’t forget to test before running the grinder.
Magnets are widely used for many applications globally. If you are using this group of metals also known as ferromagnetic metals for different workspace applications, one key question will arise. Can you cut a magnet with a grinder? Magnets have special properties and you should be considerate when cutting these metals.
Indeed, it’s possible to cut a magnet depending on the materials used to make the type you want to use for your project. However, you should be cautious when cutting magnet as it’s hard and brittle. Always wear personal protective equipment and ensure the grinder or tool you are using to cut is in good condition.